Prof. Muzaffer M. Değertekin, MD, PHD, FESC
- 2003, PhD Thesis, entitled “A new era in interventional cardiology- Drug eluting stents: First clinical experience” Erasmus University, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, Thoraxcenter, The Netherlands.
- 1995, Cardiology Specialist, Koşuyolu Heart and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 1990, Medical Doctor, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey.
- 2005, Professor of Cardiology, Yeditepe University Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul
- 1998, Associate Professor in Cardiology, Turkish Republic The Inter-Universities Board, Ankara, Turkey
- 2011, Head of Cardiology Department, Yeditepe University Hospital Department of Cardiology, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2010, Chief, Department of Cardiology, Koşuyolu Heart and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2007-2010, Head of Cardiology Department, Yeditepe University Hospital Department of Cardiology, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2005-2007, Head of Interventional Cardiology Department, Yeditepe University Hospital Department of Cardiology, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2004, Staff Interventional Cardiologist, Koşuyolu Heart and Research Hospital, Istanbul,Turkey
- 2001-2003 Research and PhD Fellow at Interventional Cardiology Department, Erasmus University, Easmus MC, Thoraxcenter, The Netherlands
- 1999-2000, Interventional Cardiologist (Military Service), Gülhane Military Hospital, İstanbul, Turkey
- 1991-1999, Cardiologist, Koşuyolu Heart and Research Hospital Istanbul, Turkey
- 1992-1993, Internal Medicine Resident, Department of Internal Medicine, Istanbul University Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
- 1991, Resident, Ankara Oncology Hospital, Ankara,Turkey
- Coronary Stents
- MSCT coronary imaging
- Acute coronary syndrome
- Intravascular Ultrasound (IVUS) and Forward looking IVUS
Clinical Multicenter Trials
- Research fellow for RAVEL, ACTION and RESEARCH trials at Thorax center, Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- Cardiology “Core-Lab” Experience
- Experience at CARDIALYSIS BV (Rotterdam, Netherlands) Multicenter drug eluting stent trials; (RAVEL, ACTION and TAXUS-II and TAXUS-III) follow-up IVUS analysis were evaluated as a supervisor Cardiologist.
- Investigator, CLARITY TIMI 28 trial.
- Principal Investigator, HAPPY trial (Heart Failure Prevalence and Predictors in Turkey).
- Investigator, ATLAS TIMI 52 trial.
Current Research Projects
- Assesment of Fluid Tissue Interaction Using Multi- Modal Image Fusion for Characterisation and Progression of Coronary Atherosclerosis Trial
Sponsor: The Scientific and Technological Council of Turkey (TUBITAK)
Partners: Sabanci University, Munich Tech. University, Yeditepe University Department of Cardiology
- SANTEZ: Biodegradable Drug Eluting Stents
Sponsor: Ministry of Industry and Trade
Partners: ALVIMEDICA (Industry), Yeditepe University Faculty of Chemistry, Yeditepe University Department of Cardiology: Recently completed
- Single Chip, Fully Integrated CMUT Based Forward-Looking IVUS
Sponsor: NIH, USA
Partners: G. W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, USA. Role: Consultant.
Memberships in Professional Bodies and Learned Societies
- 2010, Member, Board of European Society of Cardiology (ESC) (Highest administrative board of ESC) (elected )
- 2010, President, Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions of Turkish Society of Cardiology (TSC) (elected)
- 2009, Member, the Scientific Program Committee of the European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions (EAPCI) for the period of 2009-2011.
- 2007, Secretary, Board of Turkish Society of Cardiology (TSC) (elected)
- 2005, Fellow, the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) (elected)
- 2004, President, Working group on Interventional cardiology of the TSC (elected)
- 2003, Member, Working group on Interventional cardiology of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) (elected)
- 1997, Member, Working group on Interventional cardiology of the TSC
- 1995, Member, Turkish Society of Cardiology (TSC)
- 1990, Member, the National Association of medical Doctors, Turkey
Organization of Major International and National Meetings
- 2011-2012, Member, Board Member of ESC (20,000 participants)
- 2011, President, Organizing Committee of TSC-Interventions Meeting (1,000 participants)
- 2010, 2011, Member, Scientific Committee of Euro PCR (~5,000 participants)
- 2008, 2009, 2010, Member, Organizing Committee of TSC m annual meeting 2008-2010 (~5000 participants)
Medical Industry Advisory Board Memberships
- ABBOTT Vascular Intervention, USA
- MEDTRONIC Interventional Cardiology, USA
- SERVIER, Turkey
Editorial and Journal Review Activities
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine (JCM)
- Editorial Board Member, Archives of Turkish Society of Cardiology
- Editorial Board Member, Anatolian Heart Journal
- Regular reviewer, J Am Coll Cardiol, Eur Heart J, Am J Cardiol, Eurointerventions, Archives of Turkish Society of Cardiology, Anatolian Heart Journal
Promotion to Professorship
- 2010, Dr. Ronald Lee Chi Hang, National University Hospital, Singapore.
- 2009, Dr. Huseyin Yilmaz, Akdeniz Universitesi Tip Fakultesi Kardiyoloji Bolumu Antalya,
Promotion to Associate Professorship (Selected by YOK)
- 2010, Dr.Mustafa Necati Dagli, Firat Universitesi Kardiyoloji Bolumu
- 2010, Dr. Gokmen Gemici, Tekirdag Namik Kemal Universitesi Tekirdag
- 2010, Dr. Nulifer Eksi Duran, Kosuyolu Kalp Hastanesi Istanbul
- 2009, Dr. Goksel Kahraman,Kocaeli Universitesi Kardiyoloji Bolumu
- 2007, Dr.Bahattin Balci, Yuksek Ihtisas Hastanesi, Van
Administrative Service at Yeditepe University
- Organized and served as chair of the University Ethics Committee
- Served in the organization and foundation of the hospital
- Clinical and scientific program organization for the Cardiology Department
Theses supervised at Yeditepe University
- Ali Kemal Kalkan, “Comparison of bifurcation lesions evaluated with MSCT and conventional coronary angiography” M.S. Thesis, 2011.
- Yusuf Sinan Aydin “ Prevalence of coronary artery disease in patients with hypertension: MSCT study M.S. Thesis, 2011.
Recent Scientific Talks and Chaired Sessions at International Meetings
- 2011, Title; How to perform Vascular Imaging : IVUS and OCT, Chairperson of the Session European Society of Cardiology 2011 Annual Meeting, Paris, France.
- 2011, Title: Primary PCI in STEMI patients: where is the challenge? Chairperson of abstract presentation session. “Take Home Message” EUROPCR 2011 Meeting, May 2011, Paris, France
- 2011, Title: Challenging Coronary Artery Intervention. Chairperson and Consensus and “Take Home Message” EUROPCR 2011 Meeting, May 2011, Paris, France
- 2011, Title: Bifurcation Dedicated stents When ? and Where ? American College of Cardiology Scientific Meeting New Orleans, USA
- 2010: Title: Long-Term follow-up of incomplete stent apposition, Italian Cardiology Meeting Rome, Italy
- 2010: Title: LAA Occludes Trials, Global Interventional Summit SCAI Meeting, Istanbul
- 2010: Title: Treatment of in-stent restenosis after drug-eluting stent implantation (Take Home Message ) Euro PCR, Paris, France
- 2010: Title: Update on Biodegradable Strategies for Coronary Stenting Chairperson of Abstract Presentation and “Take Home Message “ was given Euro PCR, Paris, France
- 2010: Title: Multi vessel disease in the setting of acute myocardial infarction (How would I treat?) Euro PCR, Paris, France
- 2010: Title: HAPPY trial; Heart Failure Prevalence and Predictors in Turkey, European Society of Cardiology Meeting, Stockholm, Sweden
- 2010: Title: HAPPY trial; Heart Failure Prevalence and Predictors in Turkey
- German National Cardiology Meeting, Mannheim Germany
- 2009: Title: Left Main Coronary Stenting: Case Review; Trans catheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics (TCT) San Francisco, USA
- 2008: Title: Defining myocardial mass function and viability with computed tomography American College of Cardiology Scientific Meeting, Chicago, USA